This is St. Michael's Outside the Walls because it is located outside the ancient walls of the city, near the North Gate, bordering Ravello. It was built between the 11th and 12th centuries, deriving from a cavity from Mount Civita. It is reached via a flight of stairs and at the top there is the bell tower. The interior of the church is trapezoidal and shows the sloping walls of the rock. The church was used as a cemetery (until 1927) and was a mass grave during the plague of 1656. The altar was created in the Baroque style and is a painting of Cretella dated 1930, depicting the Holy Warrior. To the left of the altar, a staircase leads to a small chapel, very similar to the chapel in the abbey of Santa Maria Oleari.
The fortress is situated on the Monte Aureo, overlooking the town of Amalfi and Atrani and is located on the territory of Scala. The exact date of construction is unknown, but the imprint Aragonese suggests the 15th century. The structure, flanked by bastions and turrets, was made in conjunction with another castle on the north, near Pontoon. The ruins of this castle can still be seen. The fame of the construction is related to the story of Joan the Mad: Joan of Aragon was the illegitimate daughter of Henry's illegitimate son, Ferdinand I of Aragon. At twelve years old, in 1490, she married Alfonso Piccolomini, Duke of Amalfi, who in 1498, left her a widow and mother of two at the helm of the reign, which at that time was in poor financial shape. The young woman, against the will of his brothers, married Antonio Bologna, his butler, with whom she had a passionate love affair. The brothers tried to suppress the scandal and, after many deviations and daring escapes, imprisoned Joan (now known as the Mad) and their children in the Torre dello Ziro. Here they were starved to death or, according to the most reliable news, slaughtered while Bologna was made stabbing at the hands of assassins. These events inspired Matteo Bandello to write his twenty-fourth novel. Two tragedies were taken from this: The Duchess of Amalfi John Febster and El Mayordomo de la Duquesa de Amalfi Felipe Lope de Vega.
Built in 1601 on the initiative of Scipio Cretella and Giambattista Vollaro, the church's façade is quite simple, though bell-tower built in Moorish style is valuable. The interior is decorated in Baroque style, consisting of a single nave with a barrel vault. On the altar is a 15th-century fresco depicting the Madonna, which tradition says was caused by a kiosk that stood in the place of the church. The building houses a Nativity scene, set up during the holiday season, whose characters are faithful reproductions of Atrani men and women during this period. The location and size of the statues are directly proportional to the wealth represented: they were in fact the same people who commissioned and paid the characters.
Tradition has it that a man, Masaniello, was hunted by soldiers of the viceroy of Naples and took refuge in this cave. It has been proven however, that a house not far from this belonged to the maternal family of Masaniello, who then was half Atranese.
This church was built in the 10th century on top of Mount Aureo. Restoration was carried out between the 12th and 13th centuries and therefore it has motifs typical of that era. The church has a single nave with a small sacristy. The floor was constructed in the 19th century, with square tiles with geometric patterns, from the Collegiate Church of Santa Maria Maddalena. The church is so named because legend tells that the Virgin pardoned a man, who was banished unjustly and sentenced to be hanged. The incident is depicted in the fresco above the altar, which depicts the Madonna and Child on the left and a man about to be hanged.
Inside the building is preserved cinerary urn of white marble, dating from the Julio-Claudian dynasty, belonged to a freedman of Claudius or Nero. The inscription of the urn testifies to the liberation that an imperial freedman, a noble of the royal family, granted to a woman who therefore, it is often assumed, has become her master's wife (a custom particularly common in the period between Augustus and Marcus Aurelius).
Below and not far from the Tower of Ziro is the Grotto of the Saints. It is a small natural cave, which opens onto a terrace planted with lemon trees. Its perimeter is an irregular quadrilateral and the walls are decorated with Byzantine-style frescoes, dating from the 12th century and depicting the four Evangelists. This cave is what remains of the Benedictine monastery of Saints Quirico and Giuditta male, founded in 986 by Archbishop Leo I.
The majority of the population is Roman Catholic belonging to the Archdiocese of Amalfi-Cava de' Tirreni.
M. C. Escher's first depiction of Atrani was his early and realistic work hM Sultrycourting.com L Music Dating Szh 1 Sultry Courting Atrani - pedia, the free encyclopediaa Www.18exgfs.com cM Sultrycourting.com L Music Dating Szh 1 Sultry Courting Atrani - pedia, the free encyclopedias Www